Re: Enterprise = 8x the price!

From: <grumpycrab_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 22:01:23 GMT

> Do you need bitmap indexes ? partitioning ? etc these may help your
> performance requirements

Do these functions affect the way that data is accessed or are they just used to store the data more efficently. I ask because the database design is, largely, out of our hands. The performace I mentioned is a. reading large lumps of data quickly and b. subsequent processing of this data. Our customer gives us their database and we provide an application next to it. I suppose a question is if this database is designed and developed with Enterprise Oracle Server, will it be accessible (after they send it to us) if we just have an Oracle Server? Sorry - I'm asking stupid questions. Thanks for your time anyway. The cost of buying the Enterprise version just seems to big. I guess I'm almost asnwerring my own question. We don't create the database design. We just use its data. So I guess we'll be able to access it just as easily (after Export/Import of the data) with the standard Oracle Server... -- Ian