Re: Reverse Engineering My Database

From: Iain Bowen <alaric_at_harlech.demon.co.uk>
Date: 29 Jan 1999 22:02:26 -0000

In article <78t05q$52$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <rspeaker_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>Hi All --
>
>I am running Oracle 8.0.4 on AIX 4.2.1. There have been too many hands in the
>pot for the creation of my database, and the modifications to it from
>developers.

A familiar story.

>In a nutshell, what I want to do is somehow, generate the SQL code to rebuild
>my database to it's current state at any time. I know I can use the export
>tool, answering NO to export data? and get just the schema. However, I don't
>think this rebuilds any of my tablespaces. It does appear to rebuild all the
>tables, indexes, and constraints, but builds them in my default tablespace if
>the targetted tablespace does not exist. I currently have over 300
>tablespaces, and growing regularly, so I don't want to rely on a
>create_tablespace script that I have to keep updating to keep current.

  1. Get a copy of Oracle Scripts, published by O'Reilly. It contains a large number of Unix scripts and pieces of sql which do much of this.
  2. Use Designer/2000 to reverse engineer the database definition and keep it up to date in there. Although, personally, I have found that you have to check the code it produces. -- \/ Please insert a witty quotation of your choice here Member of the UK Usenet Committee, www.usenet.org.uk Iain Bowen. in deepest B13. Boring web page at www.harlech.demon.co.uk