OCI, Servlets and Intranet applets

From: Jeff McFarlane <jjmcf_at_shore.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:56:32 -0500

Hello,

I hope someone can help us. We are deploying the following scenario:

Domino Go Webserver running IBM's Web Application Server Websphere (1.1, but we can use 1.2 if necessary), Oracle 7.3.4 and servlets that use IBMConnectionManager for db connection pool handling. The servlet is the ringmaster serving all of our pages, of which one is a page that paints an applet tag. We want the servlet to make database calls to Oracle thru Oracle's type 2 JDBC driver. As I understand it, the only difference between the type 2 JDBC driver and the type 4 JDBC driver is that the type 2 driver makes JNI calls to the oci_jdbc.dll for db accesss, where the type 4 driver makes Pure Java calls. There are no different Java classes between type 2 and type 4. So we would prefer to use type 2 for both the servlet and the applet db connectivity.

Here is the problem:

We have two versions of the oci_jdbc.dll. The one with the newer date works with only for the applet, and the one with the older date only works with the servlet.

The applet uses the type 2 driver in a 3-tier architecture with the applet serving the GUI to the browser, and making calls thru an RMI object on the webserver that does type 2 JDBC Oracle access to the Oracle database on its own server.

Our obvious inclination is to use the newest oci_jdbc.dll. So, realizing that there are alot of vendors and components mentioned, I ask the question here, because we have isolated the problem to a call from the servlet (which simply logs on to the database thru the IBMConnectionManager). When made with the old oci_jdbc.dll, the call works fine, but with the new oci_jdbc.dll, the servlet gets an error originating from Oracle:

ORA-01017 invalid username/password; logon denied.

The username and password we use in the servlet is obviously correct because the servlet logs on and does db access fine using the old oci_jdbc.dll. But, using the old oci_jdbc.dll, the applet causes the java.exe that is running our RMI object to crash. We're thinking an oci_jdbc.dll function signature has changed from our old to new versions of this DLL, and that Websphere's IBMConnectionManager isn't happily passing the right parameters.

If any of this makes any sense, can someone point us in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jeff McFarlane
Jeff.McFarlane_at_bbh.com
jjmcf_at_online-ffl.com Received on Fri Jan 29 1999 - 11:56:32 CST