Re: sqlplus small doubt

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:59:18 -0000

The CONNECT, RESOURCE and DBA roles were left in Oracle 7 to allow backwards compatibility with Oracle 6.

Many 3rd party applications assume that a user is create by:

    grant connect to username identified by password;

The 'correct' method is:

    create user username identified by password;     grant create session to user;

If you check the CONNECT privilege, it allows far more privileges in the database than a typical end-user should need (create table is the obvious one).

This is documented somewhere in the archives, but don't ask me for chapter and verse.

Jonathan Lewis

Chuck Hamilton wrote in message <36b4d98b.8955462_at_news2.axs2000.net>...
>So why are CONNECT, RESOURCE, and DBA roles all obsolete on Oracle 7?
>Without CONNECT, a user can't connect to the database.
>
>The only time I don't grant CONNECT to a user is if that's the user
>the owns the applications tables. I only occasionally give that user
>connect privileges if I need to do maintenance. Like grant access to
>his tables to a new role or user. Then I revoke it as soon as I'm
>done.
>
> Chuck
>
>On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:32:37 -0000, "Jonathan Lewis"
><jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Hint: It is a common error in almost all Oracle 7 and 8 installation to
>>make use of the obsolete CONNECT, RESOURCE and DBA roles
>>when creating Oracle accounts. You should review the requirements
>>of your site and create roles which are relevant.
>>

>>Jonathan Lewis
>>Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>>

>>kvsraju_at_usa.net wrote in message <78ro5s$sed$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>>>I have my Oracle 8.0.3.0 database running on windows nt platform.
>>>All my users,they will be connected to database using an account,say
TEST1