Re: Disabling indexes during data import

From: Michael Bierenfeld <michael.bierenfeld_at_ibsgmbh.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:37:00 +0000

Ken Rachynski wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I've got a development system that I would like to re-load with
> production data. The first time I loaded the system, the tables were
> built during the import. This time, I'm planning on emptying out the
> tables and importing the data (with appropriate conversions) into these
> tables. I'm concerned about the performance of a mass data import if the
> indexes are being updated during said import. I haven't seen anything in
> the documentation yet about disabling the indexes, so should I worry
> about the performance or consider writing a script to create a script to
> rebuild the indexes afterwards?
>
> I do know that there are some triggers that I have to disable so they
> don't modify the current primary indexes on my records, etc.
>
> --
> Ken Rachynski
> Database Analyst
> krachyn_at_cadvision.com
> <http://www.cadvision.com/krachyn>
> ICQ: 3113514
Hello,

I am afraid, but building indexes on large tables will possibly case your temporary segments to overflow. These Segments are used to store the "Temp" Data during Index creation.

Perform the import in two steps :

  1. Import the data with rows=no. These will create the tables and indexes
  2. Import with ignore=yes buffer=100000 rows=yes full=yes. Import the data in exsiting structures commit every 100000 bytes. Ignore failures on table creation.

Performance is an issue, but if you really have mass data it's IMHO the only way.

Regards

Michael Received on Fri Jan 29 1999 - 03:37:00 CST