Disabling indexes during data import

From: Ken Rachynski <krachyn_at_cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 16:32:54 -0700

Good day,

I've got a development system that I would like to re-load with production data. The first time I loaded the system, the tables were built during the import. This time, I'm planning on emptying out the tables and importing the data (with appropriate conversions) into these tables. I'm concerned about the performance of a mass data import if the indexes are being updated during said import. I haven't seen anything in the documentation yet about disabling the indexes, so should I worry about the performance or consider writing a script to create a script to rebuild the indexes afterwards?

I do know that there are some triggers that I have to disable so they don't modify the current primary indexes on my records, etc.

--
Ken Rachynski
Database Analyst