oracle users and /etc/passwd coordination?

From: <karl_at_f7.net>
Date: 28 Jan 1999 15:04:04 -0500

I just installed a brand-new oracle database on Solaris 2.7, oracle version 8.0.5. I have a question about defining users so our programmers can have access to it.

The manuals (solaris admin reference page 2-23ff) says that if I put OPS_DOLLAR_LOGIN_ALLOWED in /var/opt/oracle/listener.ora, operating system accounts will automatically be enabled. I think I don't understand what this means. I did that, then ran lsnrctl reload. But then giving some ops$user & pw to the sqlplus user-name: and password: prompts doesn't work (invalid username/password; logon denied) for a valid Unix user/pw (defined in /etc/passwd).

Do I have to issue an sql create user command for every user who needs access to oracle? No way to just have oracle automatically say `if you're in /etc/passwd, ok'? I suppose this is ok, but the manual implied otherwise, so I am confused.

Also, a more general question: is there some reasonably understandable faqs, books, web pages, or other documentation somewhere about the basics of actually using the darn thing now that it's installed and running? For example, recommendations for setting storage strategies, defining tables(paces), doing backups, blah blah blah. I've been slogging through the manuals but as usual with manuals, there is tons of `what' information but very little `why' or general hints on becoming clueful. (I also read Lynnwood Brown's Oracle administration on Unix and was underwhelmed.) I'm shocked there's no good O'Reilly Oracle book :).

I did various documentation/web/dejanews/www.oracle.com searches about all this to no avail. Pointers to anything would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,
karl_at_f7.net Received on Thu Jan 28 1999 - 14:04:04 CST