Re: Parallel Server and availability?

From: Uli Harder <harder_at_noether.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:45:25 +0000

> This is two different issues IMHO. And neither of them are specific to
> Oracle Parallel Server (OPS). OPS major function is breaking complex
> queries up into simpler processes and running these in parallel.

However this comment confuses the issue: There are two things

  1. Oracle Parallel Query Option (PQO) which can be run either on single instance databases or Oracle Parallel Server. All it does is splitting up full table scans over several processors.
  2. Oracle parallel server CAN be run without PQO (AFAIK) and in a way has got nothing to do with PQO. OPS does come with all sorts of failover and recovery options depending on hardware and operating system. The main problem with its implementation is the partitioning of data to avoid contention in the PCM lock management.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure no one confuses the Oracle parallel query option with Oracle Parallel Server. Bye Uli
--

Uli Harder
e-mail: uli.harder_at_metron.co.uk