Re: Parallel Server and availability?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:40:42 -0000

Billy Verreynne wrote in message <78piqa$de5$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...

>My suggestion is to look at what the actual requirements are. Often the
>users and managers insist of having high availability, redundancy, load
>balancing and all the other good stuff, without having the -faintest!-
>notion of what this really mean and really entail. -Real- 24x7!?! Sounds
>nice, but forget just paying an arm and a leg. You have to donate all
>your body parts for this! :-)

I do recall a system which was supposed to be 24 x 7, and cost a fortune to create, install and maintain - then one night it crashed and the automatic pager system didn't work.

The system was down for 3 days before anyone noticed !!

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk Received on Thu Jan 28 1999 - 06:40:42 CST