SORT_MEM_SIZE ... when allocated?

From: Andy Dreisch <andydreisch_at_webtv.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:09:44 -0800 (PST)

I understand SORT_MEM_SIZE is allocated through the PGA, not the SGA. But I've read varying accounts as to *when* the memory is allocated.

Is SORT_MEM_SIZE allocated at session start time, or is it allocated only one first need, i.e., the first sort in a session?

Also, if SORT_???_RETAINED_SIZE (forgot name) is 0, does this mean that memory previously allocated for sort is immediately freed? Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 22:09:44 CST