Re: How to clone/copy a database ?

From: Diane <Diane_at_coalole.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:21:25 +0000

In article <36AF71E6.F8BA5D3E_at_hotmail.com>, Peter Fullbright <pfullbright_at_hotmail.com> writes
>Folks,
>
>I am trying to clone an existing database on another machine in an
>efficient and less time consuming path. Could someone help me with a
>list of steps I have to ollow in order to achieve my goal.
>
>Even though I could create a new database, on the new machine, create
>all necessary tablespaces, export the entire DB from the existing
>instance and import onto the new database, I am looking for a solution
>something similar to copying the datafiles, controlfiles, and
>activating the new database.
>
>Thanks very much.

Here goes - I'm assuming Oracle 8 or 7.3 versions step 1 run server manager line mode (svrmgrl on Unix) step 2 connect / as sysdba
step 3 alter database backup controlfile to trace; (this will create a file in the udump directory called something.trc) step 4 shutdown
step 5 exit server manager
step 6 copy every file related to that database from it's existing location to the new location
Question - do you want to change the dbname too? assuming yes
step 7 on the new server rename all the files in accordance with your standards (if that includes the SID)
Step 8 on the new server (which I presume already has the correct version of Oracle loaded) edit oratab to include the clone db name step 9 on the new server edit the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora to include the clone db
step 10 on the new server edit initSID.ora (aand configSID.ora if you have one to have the correct loccations and db name) step 11 on the new server That .trc file created in step 3 need to be edited - remove all the lines before and after the create controlfile sql statement. Edit the create controlfile statement to start create controlfile reuse set "SID" resetlogs and so that all the file names are correct for the clone save as createsid.sql. step 12 on the new server set you oracle SId and environment variables for the new SId and Oracle version
step 13 on the new server if your initSID.ora is not in ORACLE_HOME/bin step up a link from there to its location step 14 on the new server run servermanager line mode step 15 on the new server connect / as sysdba step 16 on the new server startup nomount step 17 on the new server run createsid.sql step 18 on the new server alter database resetlogs; step 19 on the new server alter database open; step 20 on the new server exit
you should now have a database up and running on the new server so go back to the old server and start the original up again.

Good luck
There are other articles on the web about renaming databases - That's how I found out how to do it.
Just one proviso - I'm writing this from memory at home having done this three times on Monday at work - I hope I haven't missed anything out. and it's worth checking all the syntax with a SQl manual 'cos my memory is not infallible.

--
Diane Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 15:21:25 CST