Re: Got NetApp?

From: <bclarke_at_netapp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:38:16 GMT

In article <78j23j$il8$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any DBA's out there using a Netapp to store thier datafiles on? Any good or
> bad experiences you would like to share? Please tell me what type of Database
> you are running (OLTP, Data warehouse, etc.)
>
> I'm very familiar with how a netapp works, thus my conclusion is that it is
> not a very good idea. I have problems with the RAID Level 4 that NetApp uses
> and the NVRAM.
>
> Thanks in advance for any responses...
>
> Satar
> Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin
> Advanced Enterprise Solutions
> (949) 756-0588
> A Value Added Reseller for Sun, HP, IBM, SGI,
> Oracle, and many more!

I don't want to get into a commercial endorsement here; I guess I still abide by the "old" rules...

But I offer the chance to discuss any misgivings you have and suggest that they are possibly out of date. Over 200 customers, most in the Fortune 500, are storing critical database information on Network Appliance storage systems. Certification from both Oracle and Sybase should bear out the reliability of the solution and testimony from many diverse customers will bear out the performance. For example, a recent customer-site benchmark on an HP server compared RAW disk performance against a NetApp and the NetApp averaged 130% faster across the entire test.

If you would like any further information I would be glad to discuss it with you offline. If anyone else is interested in this technology, please feel free to visit our website or contact me directly.

A lot of the problems/questions being asked in this forum would be unnecessary if a simple and reliable storage subsystem were utilized underneath the database. I look forward to the opportunity of sharing these advantages with you.

Bruce Clarke
Database Marketing
Network Appliance
Phone: 1-408-367-3156