Order of selected rows.

From: Erika Grondzakova <Erika.Grondzakova_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:06:55 +0100

Hello,

Could I rely on that when I run several times the SELECT statement of the HIERARCHICAL query, I will receive the same order of the selected rows?
(On the conditions that I will always run the same SELECT statement and the data of the table will not change between the selects.)

Especially I'm interested in the same order of the rows on the same level.

Example :

    SELECT lpad(' ',2*(LEVEL-1))||name

     FROM region
     START WITH name= 'IR1'
     CONNECT BY PRIOR name=parent;

and the result is

IR1
  LSS1

    C1R1	|
    C2R1	|
    C3R1	|
    C4R1	|
    C5R1	|  order of these rows
    C7R1	|  I would need always the same...
    C7L1	|
    C6L1	|
    C5L1	|

I can't use ORDER BY, because I need the hierarchical order of rows...

Thank you for your advise or any comments.

Best regard,

Erika Grondzakova Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 03:06:55 CST