Re: Why Oracle is hung when I try to compile a package?

From: Matthias Gresz <GreMa_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:22:31 +0100

Timothy Leung schrieb:

> I have a strange case that whenever I compile a package, my Oracle 7.3.4 for
> NT is hang and it requires reboot. But I manage to get thru the Oracle
> 8.0.3. Is it a known bug?
>
> Basically, the package has a lot of array processing and memory variables
> used. But it still not convince me to crash the server!
>
> Thanks you for your help!
>
> Tim

Yes,

there is a bug that is fixed in v8.xx and there will be no efforts to fix it in v7.xx.
We encountered the error when compiling packages with functions that return cursors, where the SELECT-stats are very complicated (it took as two days to transfom them into a test case that ran on SCOTT's schema) and also using memory variables and PL/SQL tables. But even without PL/SQL-tables it hung. As German Orcale support told me it seemed to be a very big bug that affected several issues (Bugs 603916 and 603936 ).
But it wasn't the server that hung. It was the SQL*Plus or SQK*Worksheet session that hung. The server itself produced a core dump and was still up.

--
Matthias.Gresz_at_Privat.Post.DE

Always log on the bright side of life.
http://www.stone-dead.asn.au/movies/life-of-brian/brian-31.htm Received on Wed Jan 27 1999 - 01:22:31 CST