Re: Oracle thread scheduling on NT with 4 processor configuration

From: Igor Karasik <ikar_at_mercury.co.il>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 10:33:18 +0200

Try to use ORACLE_AFINITY registry value with the software key down in Oracle. ORACLE_AFINITY=name1:cpumask1;name2:cpumask2;name3:cpumask3;... where name is one of:

-DBWR,LGWR,SMON,PMON,etc
-USER  - sets processor mask for ALL shadow threads
-DEF  - sets processor mask for any threads not listed explicitly. The default is
for all
cpu's in the system

cpumask can have the following values:

-1=binary  0001   pinned to CPU#1
-2=binary 0010   pinned to CPU#2
-3=binary  0011    can use CPU#1 or CPU#2
-2^n-1    where n == number of CPU's in system
-ROBIN  - for user or DEF name, this uses a round-robin mechanism

So, example maybe:
ORACLE_AFINITY=DBWR:1;LGWR:2;USER:12;DEF:ROBIN         Regards, Igor

P.S. I also cannot find it in Oracle 8 docs, I found it in "Optimizing Oracle for Win NT environment" book from Oracle week