Re: binary logic in SQL?

From: Garrett Kaminaga <gkaminag__at__us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:52:10 -0800

Rodney Volz wrote:

> The application is a car database. The field I asked for is to be used
> for encoding of features like "air conditioning", "sunroof", "diesel", etc.
>
> I want to be able to search for all cars with e.g. (AC & sunroof & !diesel)
> in a efficient way.

If the set of attributes is reasonably small, you can extend the table with a char(1) Y/N column for each attribute and use a bitmap index on each column.

Or, you could use context option to do text search on that field. That might be overkill if there's only a few attributes, though.

--

Garrett Kaminaga                          Oracle ConText Server Group
Note: remove underscores to get real email address Standard disclaimers apply -- all posts are personal opinion Received on Mon Jan 25 1999 - 15:52:10 CST