HELP with views

From: Julian Cowking <jcowking_at_hrms.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:41:31 -0000

I am trying to writing a DB independent app. I already have a schema in SQL server 7.0 and am wanting it to work in Oracle 8 aswell.

All my tables and views have been 'successfully' created in Oracle (tables from an Erwin model views manually) but i receive the following error when trying to update a view involving multiple tables (uses an ACL (a view in itself) joined to the main table). This view IS updateable in SQL 7.0 and 6.5

Error: ORA-01779 cannot modify a column which maps to a non key-preserving table

I have no/little Oracle knowledge.

Please help and could you recommend a good 'getting to know Oracle' book aswell? Also, when trying to create views using what i think is normal SQL inner join syntax i get the following error ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Julian Received on Mon Jan 25 1999 - 11:41:31 CST