Shutdown Immediate hangs process

From: <davidm_at_s-scape.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:25:20 GMT

Oracle 8.0.4 on Windows NT 4 sp3.

Inorder to do a complete backup, I use the shutdown immediate command nightly. Every two weeks or so it screws up. The Oracle process is still running but didn't shutdown properly. It's left if a state where I can't stop it from NT services nor can I connect to the database to issue it any stop or start commands. The end result is that I have to kill the process from the task manager. Prior to killing it, the oracle process is totally dorment. I talked to Oracle support, they where not helpful in providing any solutions. They basically said I should upgrade to 8.0.5. I'm not going to do that until they have a fix for the 4G file problem on NT.

Any ideas?