Re: Question for DBA's-SHould Application perform DBA tasks.

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_acay.com.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:00:37 +1100

tim.mcconechy_at_runtime.dk wrote in message <789djc$b49$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>The questions are:
>1) Do you forsee an inherent problems with the application performing any of
>these tasks?

Yes. Many. For a variety of reasons. Don't forget that ORACLE databases run many applications, not just one. It is a very bad policy to let an application take control of where things end up.

>2) I know a bit and I am concerned about the Synonyms for DBMS_SQL and
>DBMS_OUTPUT. My approach is to not drop the synonym (in case other users have
>grants to this synonym ect.

You better not drop them!

>3)Would you as a DBA have a problem with the program doing these things, and
>would you rather run a script ect. (Thinking about a Create SQL option)

Yes and yes.

>4)The application also creates new users on the fly as you add them to the
>program on two levels. (Th oracle DBA level and the table level to control
>access to various modules. Would you have any problem as a DBA with a program
>doing these tasks?

Provided I can hint the application which defaults the created users should have, I don't see a problem with this.

>Remember the plan is to make the DBA's job easier and also help the less
>technical firms get up and running?

The way you suggest you're not making the DBA job easier. Quite the opposite, in fact. Make it an option to install like that, for the people who think DBA's are redundant. But give the script option a thought, because any DBA will hate the "canned script" approach with all the legal consequences if they hack it.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto