Re: Export "exp" File Format????

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:06:02 +0800

steve_mundie_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I must be missing something here... You'll get most of the required
> information by using the show=y option of import with a redirection to a
> file.
>
> After that it's only making sure you extract the relevant information in the
> groups you want rather than trying to hack through the exportfile itself.
>
> SteveM
>
> In article <36A8140C.783_at_bhp.com.au>,
> Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au> wrote:
> > D.F.S. wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to parse the output of Oracle Export File.
> > >
> > > The intent is to be able to take a full database export and
> > > pull out all the DDL statements and group them in individual
> > > files by tables or users for stuff like Grants and creates and such.
> > > Ok so it is not ALL DDL, you get the idea.
> > >
> > > The idea is to have a directory structure and format that would make it
> > > easy to go find the create statement for table XYX in Schema 123 easily.
> > >
> > > This makes dropping indexes and constraints easy to allow massive
> > > loads and the added speed of creating the indexes in an unrecoverable
> > > step in one fell swoop after loads. It makes life easier.
> > >
> > > The old approach was to go get this info from the System data
> > > dictionary.
> > > I'm sick of rewriting that code every time oracle upgrades or
> > > changes something.
> > >
> > > Hence the idea of simply digging everything out of Export Files.
> > > EVERYTHING needed to build or reconfigure any user, constraint
> > > or trigger should be there, right!?
> > >
> > > The problem comes with the fact Oracle Export Files contain
> > > wierd Characters.
> > > I have not seen the pattern of Why they are there or what they may
> > > mean, but they are not a fluke, they exist in at least 2 versions
> > > or oracle on at least 3 different platforms.
> > >
> > > Take the first few lines for example, there is a rash of them around
> > > the date before the begin statement.
> > > That I would ignore, the main issue comes with the fact there are a LOT of
> > > them in and around SQL code for triggers.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what they mean, or if I can just strip them with
> > > impunity?
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any documentation of the structure of the export file?
> > >
> > > It looked pretty straight-forward until I hit this issue.
> > >
> > > Marc
> >
> > If you are on Unix, run an export with rows=n and then use the "strings"
> > command - you get pretty much everything you want.
> > --

On our platform (Solaris, 7.3.3) performing export show=y gives a file with line breaks at (somewhere about) the 80 char mark. Thus keywords etc etc get broken over multiple lines and this much of the SQL you end up with unusable (unless you write further scripts to rejoin the lines)...

Using strings, each DDL command comes out as a single line which makes life easier...

Cheers
--

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology