Web server load calculation?

From: Chris W. <cjweis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Jan 1999 22:02:54 PST

Hi:

Can anyone offer me their opinion of this situation?

My company is designing an application using Active Server Pages (NT, VBScript, IIS 3) and we intend to connect with an Oracle8 database using ODBC (we're currently using Access97 for design). Does anyone know how to determine what ODBC can handle??

We expect to support 24,000 users but haven't yet estimated the number of concurrent users. What are some possible solutions to the bottleneck that might develop between the application server and Oracle? Special clustering software? A custom API? Extra RAM? A faster processor? Parallel processors?

And if we use NT, how much can IIS handle (instructions per second, # of concurrent users, etc)?

If you can't tell, much of this is new to me. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
-chris Received on Sat Jan 23 1999 - 00:02:54 CST