Re: Copy DATABASE dir to another Oracle installation?

From: Graham Thornton <graham.thornton_at_nospam.ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:58:52 -0600

Adrian Harrison wrote:

> We have 2 installations of Personal Oracle on NT Server 4 & Win 98!
>
> What I would like to do is to copy all the data from one to the other so that any test data we setup
> on one hasn't got to be input on the other!
>
> On one PC its installed in "I:\orant" & the other "H:\Ora95"
>
> Can I just copy the "DATABASE" directory across?

at the SVRMGR prompt use:

BACKUP CONTROL FILE TO TRACE then you can edit the controlfile to alter where the files are sitting. You can then copy the database files (make sure Oracle is shutdown) and use the ascii control file to restore the database on the other machine. (execute it from Server Manager).

Make sure both machine have the same basic architecture. (e.g. Dont try to use OpenVMS datafiles on an NT box - not sure if that would work - anyone tried it?)

Graham. Received on Fri Jan 22 1999 - 16:58:52 CST