Re: "TNS:address already in use" when starting TNS Listener service

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:54:19 -0500

Paal Berggreen wrote:

> The service OracleTNSListener80 fails to start, and the following error
> message is displayed in listener.log:
(snip snip)
> TNS-00512: Address already in use
> 32-bit Windows Error: 48: Unknown system error
>
> What may cause this? Will it help to install Oracle using another port than
> 1521?

It looks to me as if you already have a SQLNet ver 2 listener using port 1526 -- you can't have two listeners on the same port. I suggest you edit the Net80 listener.ora config file in \orant\NET80\Admin to be sure that it uses a different port (I've used 1526) from the one used by the SQLNet ver 2 listener. Also make sure TNS_ADMIN in the Registry is *not* set, since you have two places to find the TNS admin files & don't want to have one or the other of the listeners looking in the wrong folder. Finally, make sure you have a current tnsnames.ora in \orant\NET80\Admin that includes a service name/alias for the database that you are trying to connect to -- if it's an Oracle8 database then you will need to connect using the Net80 listener so make sure the tnsnames.ora entry points to the port that this listener is listening on (e.g. 1527). Finally, stop & restart the Net80 listener & see if you are now in business...