Re: Export "exp" File Format????

From: D.F.S. <dfs_at_xmission.xmission.com>
Date: 22 Jan 1999 16:54:57 GMT

Thanks for the replies, here is the rundown in developments and replies to replies.

#1 it's good to know there are commercial products to do this if
that is what it comes to.

#2 I got the KSH/awk script, it looks handy.

#3 Thanks for the Strings idea, that would strip the garbage out.

#4 I can get DDL as a batch from the import utility.

My main intent is to split these statements up into individual files in a hierarchy based on different users and schema.

IE. JoeUsers Schema with the create user grants for JoeUser in the Root Node and individual tables and associated constraints and index builds in obviously named subdirectories. The idea is to have an easy and quick way to Find this stuff.

The scripts will need to also contain the correct connect statements for each create, update ot alter as they will not be running in the sequence they would in the Export File.

#2 I get paid by the Hour and the boss thinks this is something
we need.

PS I figured out what the "Garbage" Chars are.

Wrapped Lines start with a 1 byte Length followed by a Null or 00h Char followed by the text.
This is where the odd Chars come from, as the length is binary and can be anything from 01h to FFh I presume.

It is a handy Validation if nothing else.

Thanks for the help.

I'm probably going to write this in Perl, if anyone wants a copy let me know.

Marc Received on Fri Jan 22 1999 - 10:54:57 CST