Re: cursor ref and generating dynamic SQL

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:02:17 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Bob Laidig <blaidig_at_netpub.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:23:10 -0700, you wrote:

>In my program environment, Netscape LiveWire, I get result sets from my
>querys through in out parameters of my stored procedures. The in out
>parameter must be a cursor ref.
>
>When I create a dynmic SQL statement using DBMS_SQL.OPEN_CURSOR I get an
>INTEGER handler to my cursor. How can I get a cursor ref from that so I
>can use it in my programming environment?
>
>I'm using Oracle 7.3
>
>Bob
>blaidig_at_netpub.com

Sorry, until version 8.1 (8i) you cannot dynamically create a pl/sql block using pl/sql to open a ref cursor (ref cursors must be statically known at compile time).

In short, currently you cannot dynamically build the query to be associated with a ref cursor unless you are using OCI.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri Jan 22 1999 - 07:02:17 CST