Re: Installing 8.0.5 on Solaris 2.5: Impossible?

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:02:30 +0800

Mathew Kirsch wrote:

> I know the docs say 2.5.1 or 2.6, but is there any reason that Oracle
> 8.0.5 shouldn't install on Solaris 2.5? I'm installing using default
> values for everything, right out of the documentation.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to install it on a SPARC 20
> with 96MB RAM, 2GB swap, Solaris 2.5, and keep getting "ORA-27102: out
> of memory" in crdb<sid>.lst every time the installation gets to the part
> where it starts the server and creates the tables.
>
> This is my /etc/system:
> * shared memeory stuff for oracle
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
> set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
> set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
> set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70
> set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=200
>
> Everything's right out of the documentation. seminfo_semmsl was taken
> from the largest PROCESSES line in init<sid>.ora, just to be safe.
>
> I would be happy to upgrade to 2.6, but this is my NIS+ server, and
> every time I mess with NIS+ I end up with 5 hours of hair-pulling
> mayhem. Unfortunately, it's the only system with resources for Oracle.
>
> --
> +-------------------------------+------------------------------------+
> |Matt Kirsch, Programmer/analyst| THIS |
> |Academic Computing Services | SPACE UNINTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK |
> |SUNY Brockport | |
> |matt_at_acs.brockport.edu | |

I think it is not to do with 2.5 but the Sparc20 - we had similar dramas with an old IPX - try relocating your SGA to a lower position (the instrns for this are in the Oracle install guide) --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"The difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad" Received on Fri Jan 22 1999 - 00:02:30 CST