Re: Problem finding sgadef.dbf on HPUX

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:10:38 -0800

Dongmei

Your database is down for some reason. Try logging on as a DBA account (probably oracle) then issue:

OS_Prompt> svrmgrl
SVRMGR> startup

If your OS is not Unix, you may need a different version of the Server Manager command at the OS prompt.

Hope this helps.

Pete

dongmei_cao_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My oracle7 was working just fine yesterday. But this morning
> when I tried to log on to sqlplus, it gives the following
> error messages:
>
> ORA-01304: ORACLE not available
> ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file.
> HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory
>
> I have looked up the ${ORACLE_HOME}/dbs directory. There is no
> file called sgadef.dbf. So, I copied one from another HPUX
> machine. But it didn't work at all. I am new to oracle database.
> I have spent several hours to look up the manuals. But I still
> don't have a clue. If someone out there knows what's wrong,
> please let me know. Any help will be greatly appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dongmei Cao

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA