Re: Oracle 8i

From: Richard Lloyd <rkl_at_csc.liv.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:40:22 GMT

In article <77u2n7$6fo_at_world6.bellatlantic.net>, "MMK Productions" <nospammmkprod_at_bellatlantic.net> writes:
> There is an 8.0.5 and there will be a 8.0.6 before March. We are still
> working thru HPUX install bugs in 805 - not the best release I have seen
> for sure.

I got through installing 8.0.5 on HP-UX 11.0 and 10.20, but it wasn't easy. Basically, there's bugs in the 11.0 installer scripts (I had to copy some of the 10.20 versions over the 11.0 versions to get it to work !), plus I had to work around a PFS bug by copying the entire CD-ROM to hard disk before running the installer. Not to mention the complete lack of the "Legato Storage Manager", despite being documented as being available on the CD-ROMs. Oh and the 11.0 Oracle Developer CD-ROM is a mess (keeps referring to .sl libraries, when 11.0 uses .1, .2 etc.).

After that, I converted most of the .a libraries to .sl (despite what any of the docs tell you, the vast majority of Oracle libraries are *not* shipped as shared libraries), relinked my executables against the shared libraries and reduced the "oracle" binary size from 22MB to 1MB (and cut down other binary sizes equally dramatically). Plus everything worked fine too, so why Oracle don't ship most of the libraries as both archive and shared is beyond me.

After all that, I concluded that Oracle had never, ever tested HP-UX 11.0 (32-bits) Oracle 8.0.5 - it is *impossible* to install it from the CD-ROMs without signifcant hacking. A very disappointing release, but I did get it working, but that's only cos I've done an Oracle 7 install a few years back and know what a total nightmare it is to install to Oracle on UNIX. Not exactly point and click...

Richard K. Lloyd,         E-mail: rkl_at_connect.org.uk
Connect,                     WWW: http://www.connect.org.uk/

Liverpool University,
Merseyside, England,
Great Britain. Received on Thu Jan 21 1999 - 17:40:22 CST