Re: Export "exp" File Format????

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:58:10 GMT

You may find it 'sanity saving' to use one of the many 3rd party tools that can extract the DDL statements and save them to a text file...

Try TOAD or SqlNavigator or programs like them Sorry, I don't have web address for them, but a search should find them...

D.F.S. <dfs_at_xmission.xmission.com> wrote:

>I am trying to parse the output of Oracle Export File.
>
>The intent is to be able to take a full database export and
>pull out all the DDL statements and group them in individual
>files by tables or users for stuff like Grants and creates and such.
>Ok so it is not ALL DDL, you get the idea.
>
>The idea is to have a directory structure and format that would make it
>easy to go find the create statement for table XYX in Schema 123 easily.
>
>This makes dropping indexes and constraints easy to allow massive
>loads and the added speed of creating the indexes in an unrecoverable
>step in one fell swoop after loads. It makes life easier.
>
>The old approach was to go get this info from the System data
>dictionary.
>I'm sick of rewriting that code every time oracle upgrades or
>changes something.
>
>Hence the idea of simply digging everything out of Export Files.
>EVERYTHING needed to build or reconfigure any user, constraint
>or trigger should be there, right!?
>
>The problem comes with the fact Oracle Export Files contain
>wierd Characters.
>I have not seen the pattern of Why they are there or what they may
>mean, but they are not a fluke, they exist in at least 2 versions
>or oracle on at least 3 different platforms.
>
>Take the first few lines for example, there is a rash of them around
>the date before the begin statement.
>That I would ignore, the main issue comes with the fact there are a LOT of
>them in and around SQL code for triggers.
>
>Does anyone know what they mean, or if I can just strip them with
>impunity?
>
>Does anyone have any documentation of the structure of the export file?
>
>It looked pretty straight-forward until I hit this issue.
>
>Marc

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Thu Jan 21 1999 - 15:58:10 CST