Re: Oracle 8 Nameserver vs Tnsnames

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:58:14 +0100

If you need to administer multiple databases in a database network (with possibly links between) and especially if the databases are in different locations, or there are dozens of databases floating around the company (this happened to me once), centralize management and use Oracle Names. If you have a single or only very few databases, use tnsnames. The advantage of Oracle Names is you can do without a tnsnames.ora on the client.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA