Accessing Package Variables from Forms 4.5

From: Carl Hothersall <carlhothersall_at_cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 18:51:44 +0000

Does anyone know of a clever way to get/set publically available database package variables from Forms 4.5? (to my knowledge, it isn’t possible directly because Forms 4.5 uses PL/SQL V1).

One solution is to have procedures on the database that get/set the variables, eg.

function get_package_variable (p_name)
return varchar2
is
begin

   if p_name = ‘package.var1’ then

      return package.var1;
   elsif p_name = ‘package.var2’ then

      return package.var2;
   … etc …
   end if;
end;

However, this is not generic – does anyone know of a way of getting/setting the variable that is passed as a parameter without all the IF statements? What I’m really after, is a way of mimic-ing the forms NAME_IN and COPY functions in a database procedure. I’ve looked at DBMS_SQL and all that sort of stuff, but couldn’t come up with anything … any ideas?

Thanks, in advance, for your help,

Carl Hothersall (carlhothersall_at_cwcom.net) Received on Thu Jan 21 1999 - 12:51:44 CST