Re: Error message:Archival required?

From: Kenny Gump <kgump_at_mylanlabs.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:54:54 -0500

Putting the database in Archive Log Mode is a two step process. It sounds like you only did the first. You must 1st 'alter database archivelog', this puts the database in archive log mode. 2nd you need to start the automatic archiver background process. In you init.ora set the following 3 parameters

LOG_ARCHIVE_START = TRUE
LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST = some_directory --this is where you want the archives written.

the directory must exist, Oracle will not create it. LOG_ARCHIVE_FORMAT = SID_%s.arc -- this is how you want the archive files named.

By only putting the database in Archive Log Mode Oracle is hanging because it will not let a Log file be over written before it is archived.

Kenny Gump
OCP 7.3 DBA