Re: Which is better? (my $.02)

From: Dave Esmond <desmond_at_banta-im.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:13:35 -0800

OCI will remain in tact for now mainly for legacy systems and apps that will require the speed only c/c++ compiled apps can currently provide. However, Java will continue to grow and eventually dominate. They just need to make it faster and more robust.

As far as skills go, the next generation will speak Java and probably spend their rookie days converting procedural C programs to Java Classes. A generation or two beyond that will confuse C with Cobol. Mark my words!

-d

danielrod_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Now that Java will be supported within the database (Oracle 8i), will this
> obliviate the need for PL/SQL programming?
>
> Which one is better? (i.e., faster, easier, with better future potential)
>
> Which programming skill (Java or PL/SQL) pays more now and in the future?
>
> Thanks to all!

WE'VE MOVED! PLEASE NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER!

Dave Esmond Lead Engineer
Banta Integrated Media Santa Clara, CA
408.486-5552             office (direct)
desmond@banta-im.com     http://www.banta-im.com