Can I use gnu C compiler to write OCI Program?

From: Terry Heung-Man Lam <tlam_at_cs.umd.edu>
Date: 20 Jan 1999 17:42:37 -0500

Hi,

I have a question about Oracle OCI/Pro*C:

The documentation says that in order to use the C precompiler (that allows PL/SQL blocks in your C code), you need "SPARCworks C Compiler 4.2 or better". Do you know whether that really means that no gnu (gcc) version will work, or might one work?

Also, the Administrator's Guide claims that the compiler required to use the OCI is specified in the Installation Guide, but the part about the Pro*C precompiler was all I could find. Do you know whether gnu or other versions will work with the OCI?

Finally, related to all of this, many of the .cfg files referenced in the documentation aren't there. The makefiles are, though. Do you know why that would be?

It would definitely be better not to have to *purchase* a compiler for my machine which doesn't have any compiler right now. Hence, I'm hoping to use gnu versions which is free. Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Terry Lam Received on Wed Jan 20 1999 - 16:42:37 CST