Re: Thousands of sequences OK?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:25:34 -0000

Doesn't seem to be a very good idea - as others have pointed out, each sequence is an object in the dc_rowcache. On the other hand, does each user have 90 table of their own ? If so the sequence thing is a less significant
part of you problems.

However, if you really need to give each user their own sequence for each table, you might as well give each user a 'sequence rows' in a sequence table.

e.g

    seq_thing1 is a table of 10,000 rows (approx) for base table thing1     user 99 increments on the row in seq_thing1 where id=99.

Jonathan Lewis