Re: Which platform has the largest possible data block size?

From: <esiyuri_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:07:04 GMT

In article <36a54ed9.20265337_at_newshost.interact.net.au>,   granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au (Fuzzy) wrote:
> I've got an app that is creating a few reference tables. Some of them
> will only ever contain one row, with two 4-byte numbers....
> ...I'd like to stick in the storage clause, using the smallest amount
> of space possible. BUT, as this app runs on Oracle on any platform, I
> need to worry about the size of the blocks on each platform

There is no need to worry. Oracle will always allocate at least two blocks, regardless of the block size. Just allocate a very small size. For example, on my test (7.3.3) database, using 8K blocks:

SQL> create table test (col number) storage (initial 1k next 1k);

SQL> select INITIAL_EXTENT, NEXT_EXTENT

     from user_tables
     where table_name = 'TEST';

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT