Re: Q: Oracle 8 vs. 8i for OAS/Java app?

From: <akaul_at_au.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:26:50 GMT

David,

The applications that you develop on the OAS platform will, for the most part, be portable to Oracle 8i. From my understanding, there is only one area that will need modification... the connection management. You will no londer need to open and close jdbc connections. The database server will manage that for your app. If you can extract that functionality into a library that can detect the environment, then the code you write will, literally, be binary portable from OAS to 8i (by binary portable, I mean bytecode portable, without the need for recompilation).

This, of course, is all true in theory, but I'll be able to give you a concrete assessment in Feb about how realistic this is (because I'm doing a few courses in the first week of Feb, one on Java in the OAS, and another on Java in 8i)

Hope this helps,

Eddie

In article <369F9EF4.64759D25_at_nycap.rr.com>,   David Smith <dr_smith_at_nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I have newbie questions about how to approach an OAS project. Mainly:
> Will a JWeb cartridge app written for Oracle 8 still work in 8i?
>
> Over the next few months, I'll be learning OAS so that I can write
> an app, which will be written in Java. I guess I *could* start
> writing this app right away, using Oracle 8, OAS 4, and JWeb cartridge.
> We're not doing EJBs (not yet), so I guess JWeb cart. is the way to go
> for an OAS/Oracle 8 application. Right?
>
> But the thing is, I think that ultimately, we'll want this to be
> an Oracle 8i app, not an Oracle 8 app. So....
> If I were to develop an app using Oracle 8, OAS 4, and JWeb cartidge,
> then will that app still work in 8i? I thought I read something about
> 8i being different in terms of how it does Java.
>
> Given that we'll ultimately deploy in 8i, would I be wasting my time
> developing an app in 8, using JWeb cartridge? Will I need or want
> to throw away all JWeb cartridge work when I move to 8i?
>
> When is 8i shipping, anyway? And are there betas available?
>
> Any insights appreciated. If you want to reply by direct e-mail,
> please remove any "_" (underscore) characters from my email reply addr.
> Thanks!
>
> Dave

Aditya (Eddie) Kaul Senior Consultant - Internet Services and Electronic Commerce, Oracle Australia