Re: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name, why?

From: S. P. Pohilko <pohilko_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:08:41 -0600

Paal Berggreen wrote:

> I have installed Oracle 8 on NT40 Wks (sp4). However, I get "ORA-12154:
> TNS:could not resolve service name" when I try to connect to the db using
> enterprise manager (or any other db tool). I assume this is because the
> service OracleTNSListener80 is not running. The service has startup mode
> Automatic, but does not run (after boot). When I start the service manually,
> I get the error "Could not start the ... service on <hostname>, Error 1067:
> The process terminated unexpectedly".

I had similar problem, and finally had to re-install Oracle8. That fixed the problem.
Also I've noticed, that Oracle Application Server (OAS) 4.x can't work with SP4. Fortunately, it's easy to uninstall SP4.

> So, my question is: is this service required to run, and if so; what may be
> (typical?) possible causes for the startup failure of the service? Oracle in
> installed on \ORANT

This service have to run, usually it's started automatically with NT startup.

S.Peter Pohilko Received on Tue Jan 19 1999 - 20:08:41 CST