Re: What is "TNS:name lookup failure"?

From: Alexander Goller <alex_at_vivien.franken.de>
Date: 19 Jan 1999 13:36:53 GMT

Hi,

On 19 Jan 1999 11:16:17 GMT, Miguel Pinto <j-miguel-pinto_at_telecom.pt> wrote:
>Hi experts,
>
>ORA-12545 "TNS:name lookup failure"
>// *Cause: A protocol specific ADDRESS parameter cannot be resolved.
>// *Action: Ensure the ADDRESS parameters have been entered correctly;
>// the most likely incorrect value is the node name.

Oracle has a builtin scheme for address resolution of data sources over the network. The services is called TNS. The whole thing works similar to DNS (very basically :)) and resolves service names into network addresses and port numbers afaik.
Read the manuals about TNSLSNR, TNSNAMES.ORA ...

bye, alex
--
I'm a Lisp variable -- bind me! Received on Tue Jan 19 1999 - 07:36:53 CST