Re: Problems of new datafiles!!!!

From: John Koo <johnkoo_at_i-wave.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:59:19 +0000

"m.L." wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I have a rather unique situation. It was about couple weeks
> ago that I added a second datafile for a particular tablespace, LDS
> at a client site. At the beginning, everything seems normal, but now
> I discovered that there is no entry for the new datafile (file_id =
> 17) in the table dba_free_space, while there is one in the
> dba_data_files. Would someone know similar situation?
>
> Objects like image files are constantly being added and
> deleted on the LDS tablespace. The 2nd datafile for LDS has been
> increased in size much faster than I expected. I suspect that the
> free space from deleted objects is not being used.
>
> If anyone has any ideas what I can do, or where should I
> check, please send me email to my company account mleung_at_intelus.com,
> or simply post it here.
>
> Thanks
> Michael L

Hi Mike,

 You might COALESCE the fragmented free extents, you might DEALLOCATE unused extents from tables above HWM. But first of all, you have to check the allocated extents & actually used extents of those tables. Doing a export & then import is not a bad idea to re-organize your tablespace because it is fast and safe anyway.

John Koo
johnkoo_at_i-wave.net Received on Tue Jan 19 1999 - 01:59:19 CST