Re: ORACLE on LINUX listener problem

From: <mhodges_us_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:45:48 GMT

In article <36A274F1.5E48_at_pentasystems.com>,   johnny_at_pentasystems.com wrote:
> HI,
>
> I installed oracle on linux. It works fine but the listener.
> I get the following error(s) when I try to connect to the database
> via a sqlnet connection (TCP/IP).
>
> TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
> TNS-12546: TNS:permission denied
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00516: Permission denied
> Linux Error: 13: Permission denied
>
> I run RetHat 5.1 and oracle 8.0.5
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Johnny Verhoeven

We just ran into this same problem. It seems that $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/root.sh changes the permisions and ownership of the tnslsnr program to root

from $ORACLE_HOME/orainst/root.sh:

# Change permissions on tnslsnr to be setuid to root. # This is required for SPX/IPX V2 on UnixWare.

Since we are not running UnixWare or have and SPX in our network we commented out those lines and changed the ownership and permissions back to their original values or something close (As root):

cd $ORACLE_HOME
chown oracle dbsnmp oratclsh osh tnslsnr chmod 755 dbsnmp oratclsh osh tnslsnr

Once done everything worked just fine.