Re: from x86 -> alpha

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:59:16 -0800

Alan Way wrote:

> mgyuri wrote in message <77ut5e$ir3_at_helka.iif.hu>...
> >is it possible to copy my database files
> >and start it on new box ?
> >If it will not work what do you prefer ?
> >
> >thx
>
> Copying is probably not a good idea. Use export/import instead if
> practicable.
>
> Sacs

Unless the OS's are binary compatible (i.e. the same) copying the files will not work. The approaches that will work are either:

  1. one which extracts the data first, then reloads it, or
  2. copies between the two databases.

There are multiple ways of doing the first (export/import, SQL*Loader, third party tools), of which export/import is probably the most straight forward. The second approach requires the two databases to have database links between them, then copying via either CTAS or the SQL*Plus copy command. Which approach is the most valid is a case by case decision.

Hope this helps.

Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education               (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA