Re: ORA-12500 error when many users connected

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 12:37:17 +0100

Igor Karasik wrote in message <36A1B5C2.A2A9448E_at_mercury.co.il>...
>Hi,
>
>I have Oracle 8.0.4.2 server on NT4, SP3 , Compaq-6000 (4 CPU, 2 Gb Ram)
>
>When about 1050 oracle users connected to server each new connection
>to server failed with:
>"ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process"
>
>Any suggestions?

That's a problem with memory. Maybe you have reached the maximum size of user virtual memory space that NT process may address (2 GB). Consider, that on NT threads of 1000 users consume over 1GB of UGA, add SGA size and it may seem that limit of 2GB may be easily reached. Additionally, if there exists any bug causing memory leaks size of oracle process may grow rapidly.

HTH,
--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Mon Jan 18 1999 - 05:37:17 CST