Re: Oracle 8i

From: MMK Productions <nospammmkprod_at_bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:26:20 -0500

There is an 8.0.5 and there will be a 8.0.6 before March. We are still working thru HPUX install bugs in 805 - not the best release I have seen for sure.

8.1.5 may be out in March but it will not include the "i" features (being able to drop a Word file in the DB via drag/drop, etc.). Those features may be in 8.1.6.

I would not used it in anything other than DEV tests until 8.1.7 or .8. There are a *LOT* of new things in 8.1. Oracle still does not have every obj feature working in 8.0!

My guess is with all the pressure from SQL Server 7.0, Oracle is going to delay 8i until it works well (meaning look for June/July).