Re: Excel 97 to Oracle 7.3.4 via ODBC problems

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_you.cant.spam.me>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:47:52 GMT

Thanks to both of you. I ended up using Geoff's solution and it worked great (upgrading MS Office 97 to Service Pack 2 - I never heard of it before).

I don't want a fancy add-in because this is something I wanted to do   "quick and dirty" as a proof-of-concept. At this time, we only need one or two Excel spreadsheets to connect to Oracle. If we need more in future we might look at something better.

One thing that I did find strange was that I had to use the ODBC 32-bit administrator to add the new "data source" before I could access Oracle from Excel. Any attempt to create a new one through Excel failed.

Babette Turner-Underwood, TMI Communications babettet_at_tmi.ca

Geoff Ingram wrote in message <36A0AF08.DCF9BF1A_at_gvingram.demon.co.uk>...
>Gerritt-Jan,
>
>the original question was about a problem with MS Query.
>What's the best interface for accessing Oracle from Excel is a completely
different
>question. I use VBA mostly to access Oracle from Excel simply because it
does 95%
>of what I want. I already have ODBC and VBA installed. No hassle involved.
>
>PS please don't use my email id in the Reply-To field for your posts
>
>gjlinker_at_geocities.com wrote:
>
>> Dear Babette and Geoff,
>>
>> You can avoid the ODBC hassle. I wrote an addin for Excel to talk to
Oracle.