Oracle running as a service

From: Dennis Reed <djr3_at_pge.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:54:52 GMT

I run an Oracle database on an NT4SP3 server. The Oracle processes are currently configured to run as "system" in Control Panel/Services. These processes now have a need to output files to shared directories out on our network. When I first tried this, the Oracle jobs failed with errors related to "cannot access the network". I then tried changing the Oracle processes in Control Panel to run as my user id, but the jobs then failed with errors related to "djr3 does not have authority to spawn new processes".

How can I leave the Oracle processes running as "system" (apparently the "localsystem" user internal to NT) and yet give that user access to the network outside the local box? (alternatively, how can I give my userid the correct rights to spawn a process? I've already granted myself every advanced user right in User Manager, and it still doesn't work...)

I've already recieved info on how to download and basically use AUTOEXNT (see http://www.jsiinc.com) to set up a share for the Administrator account. The batch file would need to include NET USE X: \\MACHINE\SHARENAME SHAREPASSWORD /USER:\\LOCALSERVERDOMAIN\Administrator But that limits me to that one particular output location. I want LocalSystem to have global access to the network.

Also, it appears the above would set up a network share for Administrator - will doing that allow LocalSystem access to that same share? I.e. are "system" and the server's local Administrator account actually the same thing as far as rights/security/etc are concerned?

Dennis Reed
Oracle DBA, Pacific Gas and Electric Co. djr3_at_pge.com Received on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 14:54:52 CST