Q: Oracle 8 vs. 8i for OAS/Java app?

From: David Smith <dr_smith_at_nycap.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:00:46 GMT

I have newbie questions about how to approach an OAS project. Mainly: Will a JWeb cartridge app written for Oracle 8 still work in 8i?

Over the next few months, I'll be learning OAS so that I can write an app, which will be written in Java. I guess I *could* start writing this app right away, using Oracle 8, OAS 4, and JWeb cartridge. We're not doing EJBs (not yet), so I guess JWeb cart. is the way to go for an OAS/Oracle 8 application. Right?

But the thing is, I think that ultimately, we'll want this to be an Oracle 8i app, not an Oracle 8 app. So.... If I were to develop an app using Oracle 8, OAS 4, and JWeb cartidge, then will that app still work in 8i? I thought I read something about 8i being different in terms of how it does Java.

Given that we'll ultimately deploy in 8i, would I be wasting my time developing an app in 8, using JWeb cartridge? Will I need or want to throw away all JWeb cartridge work when I move to 8i?

When is 8i shipping, anyway? And are there betas available?

Any insights appreciated. If you want to reply by direct e-mail, please remove any "_" (underscore) characters from my email reply addr. Thanks!

Dave Received on Fri Jan 15 1999 - 14:00:46 CST