Re: Will JSQL replace PL/SQL one day?

From: MickM <mickm_at_spirit.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:05:10 +1000

David,

There not actually related.

J/SQL is a standard being developed by Oracle and some other vendors? that allows developers to embed SQL statements within Java programs. It's similar to Oracle's Proc*C which allows SQL to be embedded within C/C++ code. J/SQL is meant to hide the complexities of using JDBC.

I suppose your question might be - will Java replace PL/SQL? Well, Oracle 8i will support stored procedures written in Java, so I pressume Oracle are heading down that track. No doubt, with the amount of PL/SQL out there in the world, Oracle would need to support PL/SQL for at least another ten years (That's just a guess). Of course, over the next ten years so many factors could change the current directions of Java and PL/SQL.

Just some thoughts
Mick