Re: Oracle on NT versus UNIX???

From: <mgogala_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 06:29:57 GMT

In article <77f0tj$4m5$1_at_readme.online.no>,   "John Martin Kvalsund" <john-martin.kvalsund_at_sensonor.no> wrote:
> I have an appliction (IFS applications, any experience with that??) running
> on Oracle 7.3.3 on NT server 4.0 SP3. The hardware is a Compaq Proliant
> 2500 containing 2 CPU's (Pentium Pro 200) and 1 GB of RAM. With approx. 30
> users of the application this server meets the limit. All available memory
> is consumed by Oracle and the CPU usage hits 100 % in long periods, (end of
> months etc.). I have two choices:
>
> 1: By a new 4 processor NT box.
>
> 2: By a suitable Unix box (i.e. Sun Enterprise server 450) and convert the
> Oracle database.
>
> I've heard that Unix systems are more "CPU-efficient, more efficient code"
> etc. The ordinary Unix-excuses for being much more expensive... But how big
> is the difference? Is Oracle that much better on Unix than NT, or could a
> more powerful NT-box manage the same performance as a Unix-box?
>
> Appreciate any advice on this matter, has anyone done a NT-to-Unix
> convertion, what was the result, the costs etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Martin

As for price considerations, BMW 850i costs a bit more then Ford Escort. Is there a reason? I think yes!
NT, on the other hand, is a consumer operating system. It is not a heavy duty machine that could drive a whole midsized company. As for Solaris, E450 with 2 CPUs, 1GB RAM could drive much more then 30 users, and it would probably cost you less then 4 PII/400MHZ. As for stability, I've seen SUN machines that have been up for a year without a reboot. And working hard, of course.

Mladen Gogala