Re: Parallel Server Application Dev.

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 15 Jan 1999 01:22:06 GMT

From: Richard Murphy >>
Any recomendations for parallel server application development? Looking for a good reference for creating and porting applications to a parallel system. <<

If you are talking about porting to the Oracle Paraller Server as opposed to parallel query then I would suggest:

Size each machine big enough to handle the entire application so that if one machine fails the application will still function within acceptable limits, though with noticablily slower reponse time.

Make sure you have enough memory to handle the number of PCM locks that your application will need.

Do not allow round robin PCM lock assignment, but instead manually assign locks to every file using the gc_files_to_locks init.ora parameter.

Try to separate sub-sections of your application table into groups where all updaters come from one machine.

Use OS level file stripping.

If you are using one of the versions of UNIX that I have heard can support OPS on other than raw partitions, use raw partitions anyway, unless the benefits of the other file system are truely monumental.

Make your temporary segment tablespace, usually called temp or tmp a non--permanent tablespace: "alter tablespace tmp temporary;"

Read the Oracle Parallel Server Concepts manual that comes starting with ver. 7.3+

Application development really does not change because of OPS unless the application needs common OS level files. This could require the need to NFS mount files which creates a single point of failure if the machine where the files reside fails.

I have been working with OPS for at least four years; it is not much different from regular Oracle since we have several systems and we manage and design for all of them using pretty much the same techniques and rules.

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Thu Jan 14 1999 - 19:22:06 CST